This is by no means an exhaustive list but I wanted to share ideas that will work for most people.
- Step away from whatever is overwhelming you. Even if for an hour or two, or a day or a week, depending on the situation.
- Focus on self-care. We ignore this when overwhelmed but it is one of the first things we must do.
- Change your perspective, and try to see if there are lessons to be learned or changes to be made.
- Take a deep breath and close your eyes and continue taking deep breaths. This seemly trivial step can make you centered and help see things more clearly.
- Empty your plate and delete tasks and to-dos that are not essential.
- Ask for help from a loved one or a professional.
- Sleep more than usual, becasue sleep helps with recovery and reduces mental fatigue. It makes you sharp and when you are sharp you are more efficient than when tired.