We often lose focus with so many distractions and different items pulling our attention in different directions.
When that happens, it is not always easy to come to a state where you can focus again and get into the flow.
For those times, try this ritual.
- Stop doing whatever you are doing.
- Do any of these three things – depending on what you feel like – get up and splash some water on your face, lie down or go for a short 5-minutes walk.
- Next, do some gentle stretches.
- Sit down, and take five deep breaths.
- Drink a glass of water.
- Think about what you want to focus on.
- Set a timer for 25 minutes
- And focus on the work you thought about.
- Repeat the ritual.
Your mind may start wandering before the 25 minutes timer goes off. That’s ok. Complete that 25 minutes window anyway. Then repeat the process. Over time it will become easier to stay focused, and you may not need the timer.
But when you feel like you can’t focus, try this “Refocus Ritual.”
Let me know how it goes for you.