If you have your cash flows sorted and want to grow fast, try this approach.
- Identify 100 people who run a podcast and have the audience you want to serve.
- Start a podcast and book those 100 people for your podcast, over 2-3 years. 1 guest per week.
- On the side, create a distribution channel for your podcast, a website + a newsletter + Twitter are good. On website publish, edited transcript, in newsletter select bites and on Twitter, an edited version of select bites and learnings.
- Engage with those who follow you.
- Keep in touch with those you interview preferably using a personal relationship CRM and try to bring them value.
- 3-6 months after interviewing a person go back to them and tell them that you are looking for more visibility for your work and would you consider hosting you on their podcast.
- Do this every week for about 100 weeks, and chances a lot of people who you want to sell to, will start knowing you and following you. The actual size of this audience will depend on the size of podcasts you are featured on. But it is reasonable to think that you’ll get 10000 to 1 million followers on your chosen distribution platform and 100 to 1000 customers through this.
Over time, you will build 10x or 20x influence compared to someone who continued doing the routine work. It’s just a matter of being consistent and creative.