Pleasant ones are always welcome. Here we are discussing how to tackle not so pleasant ones. The challenges can be of different types. A job loss, getting into a new unsuitable job, money crisis – all are challenges one can come across.
How to overcome these challenges? Explore ideas below to gain a perspective.
1. Accept: Do not run – except when there is a tiger running after you🙂. Accept the challenge. It will put your brain at ease. When you are in fight or flight mode you are in state of indecision. Accepting the challenge sends the signal of decision to your brain. It also helps increase the determination.
2. Take immediate action: See if there is any immediate action required. First step after the loss of a bank card (debit or credit) is to report the loss to the bank. This is the first action one would take. If you need to do something like that in your situation – then do it.
3. Think: Think about your combat plan. Put your plans on paper. Think about your strengths and options in such a situation. Create a plan with actionable steps for short, mid and long-term.
4. Find help: share your situation with friends and family. This will make you feel light. Good if you get some real help — if not your friends will share their thoughts about the situation. It will help you gain different perspective on the situation. Use your commonsense and pick the ideas you think are workable.
5. Take a break: A tired person is not fit for any productive pursuit. When faced with a challenge you need energy, agility and a clear mind. Rest and nourish your body and mind to be fit to face the challenge.
6. Read: Explore what others in a similar situation did. Donald trump when faced in 1994 with a financial crisis ($900 million of personal debt and $3.5 billion in business debt) — tackled it with courage and bounced back within 5 years. He wrote about this in his 3rd book “The Art of the Comeback”.
“I began to prosper a long time before the newspapers and other media acknowledged it. Apart from realizing my modest success, the media was, in fact, gleefully predicting my collapse — at a time when I knew I was coming on strong.” – Donald J. Trump
Nick Denton of Gawker Media faced with a credit crisis folded Valleywag (in late 2008) and Defamer (in early 2009), two highly trafficked websites to focus on the ones providing better financial returns. Nick had earlier been featured on Sunday Times Rich list of 2007 with a net worth of approx $290 million.
Every situation is unique and will call for a unique solution. You can still get some ideas. For more inspiration, read “The world’s greatest comebacks” by Robert A Schuller.
7. Act: act on plans and ideas that you put on paper, change course and adapt wherever needed.
Do all these and chances are that you will emerge a winner.
While you are doing this note down your lessons and take action to avoid similar situations in future.
Life is rarely free of challenges. If yours is like that I am happy for you and wish that it remains that way. Rest of us all, need to remember what Henry Kissinger said, ““A diamond is a chunk of coal that is made good under pressure.”
How do you act when faced with a challenge?