“You will get all you want in life, if you help enough other people get what they want.”
Helping others is noble.
It makes you feel good.
It is the right thing to do.
These are good enough reasons to help others. If you are someone who is into details – here is an interview with Stephen G. Post, author of The Hidden Gifts of Helping. It says that helping others is good for your health. Here are more healthy reasons to help others.
It makes sense to help a cause you believe in. Helping someone under pressure does not do any good.
How to help others
I really like this quote by Maya Angelou.
“I do not trust people who don’t love themselves and yet tell me, ‘I love you.’ There is an African saying which is: Be careful when a naked person offers you a shirt.”
So if you want to give and help others, then help yourself first.
Helping someone in something that you do not feel is right. Doing it under any sort of moral pressure should also be avoided. Do it because you want to.
Here are some ways you can help others.
- Teach people a new skill.
- Inspire them to pursue their goals.
- Listen to what they have to say.
- Share your moments of joy with them.
- Smile when you look at people, even strangers.
- Write people in your life a letter (on paper) and mail it to them old world style.
- Remind them about their strengths.
- Help them plan their business or design their life.
- Volunteer for their cause.
- Donate money for their cause on Kickstarter, Indiegogo, Rally or any other place.
- Like their Facebook page.
- Call and talk to them.
- Help them organize their work life.
- Help them identify clutter in their life and also help remove it.
Here are more ways to help people in different stages of their lives.
- Feed them
- Love them
- Buy gifts for them
- Play with them
- Teach them to draw, paint and make things with their hands
- Tell them about what really matters in life – values, people, good use of time
- Teach them about science, spirituality, and balance in relationships
- Tell them about being principle centered
- Gift them good foundation building books
- Support them in their decision
- Give them resources to pursue their dreams
- Talk to them about differet career choices
- Tell them how to live their dreams
- Introduce them to a potential life partner
- Tell them how to choose a life partner
- Be a mentor to them
- Talk to them about the importance of good health
- Tell them about things that every young person should know
- Help them write a book
- Talk to them about work that really matters
- Collaborate with them to give back
- Teach them about a new trend or new technology which seems alien to them
- Help them run errands
- Listen to them talk about their life
- Provide them an opportunity to experience what they missed in life
- Read to them books of their choice
- Accompany them to their favorite restaurant or concert or just to a park
What do you want to add to this list?
Also to help me – tell me what should I write about next 🙂
If you need help with something write to me.
I will leave you with this video about kindness. This is not the end, this is a new beginning…